Re: [MV] my first 'real' deployment

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 23:12:16 PDT

SUBTITLE C. STATE MILITARY FORCES AND VETERANS
CHAPTER 431. STATE MILITIA
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

§ 431.006. Reemployment of Person Called to Training Or Duty

      (a) A private employer may not terminate the employment of
a permanent employee who is a member of the state military forces
because the employee is ordered to authorized training or duty by
proper authority. The employee is entitled to return to the same
employment held when ordered to training or duty and may not be
subjected to loss of time, efficiency rating, vacation time, or
any benefit of employment during or because of the absence. The
employee, as soon as practicable after release from duty, must
give written or actual notice of intent to return to employment.

      (b) A person injured by a violation of this section is
entitled to:

      (1) damages in an amount not exceeding six months'
compensation at the rate at which the person was compensated when
ordered to training or duty; and

      (2) reasonable attorney's fees approved by the court.

      (c) It is a defense to an action under this section that
the employer's circumstances changed while the employee was in
training or on duty to an extent that makes reemployment
impossible or unreasonable.

Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 147, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987.

Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1205, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.