Re: [MV] great gilbert washout-Red Ball-death of mv shows

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 19:04:05 PDT

Rick wrote:
>After arraging with a vendor to pickup some parts at Gilbert and feeling
>obligated to pick them up I drove and hour and a half to find out the vendor
>did not stay till 12 like he said he would but rather left about 9am about
>10 mintues prior to my arrival.
>
>I paid $6 entrance fee for a 10 minute walk through and then left.
>
>In light of vendor performance at previous rain events like Aberdeen and
>vendor performance can I suggest that instead of event occurs rain or shine
>that it is advertised to occur shine only?

  Well,

   I do feel your pain........but I was there set up for three days. Brought a CCKW load of parts and manuals, set up in the rain, had my canopy destroyed Friday night, many items waterlogged..........but I was still there selling at 5 pm.

  Just because your vendor did not stay is no reason to bad mouth this show and all outside MV shows in general.

   I drove over an hour in a 6x6 to bring things there for guys like you to buy, used several days of vacation time up.......and I'm not complaining......or whining........

    If you were only there 10 minutes you could never have looked at all the vendors or at the vehicles that were on display. Those guys brought jeeps, 6x6's, half track, M-114 APC, command cars, 1 1/2 tons, and some very rare motorcycles to the show just so you (and others) could see them. They braved the rain and a Hurricane and had their vehicles soaked.

   It's too bad you ran off so quick......you missed Pat Lombardi driving his M-114 Armored Personnel carrier around.....a real sight to see!

   There were many vendors that stayed Friday and some Saturday......Brent Mullens, Myself, Peter Debella, Darryl Bensinger, Curt Wolf, Tom Weibolt, John Blackwood and many, many others.......

   Hey, Brent Mullins drove all the way from TEXAS to bring parts for guys like you to buy......and you're complaining about a 1 1/2 hour drive?

  If your vendor wasn't there don't whine here........complain to him about it.

Jim Gilmore

Editor, Red Ball Military Transport