Re: [MV] Another soccer mom's vehicle

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 11:49:01 PDT

At 1:28 PM -0400 9/21/04, Paul Farber wrote:

>I looked into needing a CDL when I got my CCKW (due to its weight).
>CDL is a Federal program, with minor state modifications. Basically
>in PA (and most other states) it boils down to if your vehicle is a
>COMMERCIAL vehicle you need a CDL A,B ,C with whatever endorsements
>(school bus, hazmat etc).

Yep, but Georgia law is sketchy. It only allows Recreational
Vehicles, Farm Trucks and Fire Trucks into the Non-CDL Class and RV's
(ie campers) are considered Class C. The Problem is that the DMVS is
so unimaginative they cannot see anything but Campers as Recreational
Vehicles since Recreational Vehicle is undefined. So if it's not a
Camper, fire truck or farm truck, it's a Commercial truck to them.

So, I'm going the route of the Georgia General Assembly. At some
critical juncture, I'll need a bunch of MV owners to show up with
their vehicles for a photo op here in downtown Atlanta right around
the capital so these guys can see exactly what they're supporting.
(I'm still holding the Court action in reserve).

I just spoke with one of the lawyers that writes up the Georgia
General Assembly's bills and she seems quite friendly to the idea of
all of this. Of course it helps that I wrote up a copy of what I hope
the law to look like with examples of how it fits into federal law
and as to how similar it would be to other states laws.

I'm also aiming for a tag exemption for Military Vehicles.

>For the most part if your vehicle is less than 26000GVW you do not
>need a CDL, airbrakes or not. There are of course exceptions, but
>for like school bus (designed to carry more than 12 people) and
>tandem trailers etc.

Yep. But I had that Bus exception used against me by the Georgia DMVS
Driver Services Director as an example. Not a very good one, but he
used it.

>Your DMV web site will have a FAQ and the CDL manual. The FAQ for
>PA told me what I needed to know (most of the above info).

Georgia Did the same thing, issued me the Non-CDL learners permit for
a Class A then changed their minds and wouldn't allow me to get the
Class A license and stated I needed a Class B CDL to drive my
Military truck (since I wasn't in the Military).

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -