DUKW/CCKW Brake Upgrade to M35 parts

From: Winget William A Contractor CIV JTFCS J5 (William.Winget@jtfcs.northcom.mil)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 05:47:40 PDT

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED
1st a Plug, the 23 Oct 04 Show at the Virginia War Memorial in Newport News Virginia is approaching, nice small show, no real Mil Veh dealers though, but 6-8 Deuce and assorted other vehicles, see web page for last years stuff.

Situation: I have two dead DUKWS, one now runs but the brakes are shot and I'm in the process of preparing to install an M35 Master (Used Freebie)(everyone says they work, with shorter bolts, no problem I can see) So my question is, has anyone upgraded a CCKW (or DUKW) to the complete M35 brake system with the M35 booster configuration instead of the old CCKW/DUKW Hydrovac? Mine is likely shot,(last run in '91 ? ) and if I have to rip out the brake lines and hose and replace them I might as well upgrade the system slightly.
I could go full hog with a split master and booster, etc. but upgrade for this is to replace the COPPER brake lines (Coast Guard mod, not ME...) had in her with steel, and possibly replace the older Hydrovac with the more modern Deuce system (as it's also available to me free at this point...)
Any opinions on the M35 components into a CCKW/DUKW?
Or is there an entirely new route I should take with a split master/booster (any NAPA # that would fit?) like the refitted deuces.

Simplest will be to replace the master and install new hoses, and rip out any Copper in the lines, but brake improvements on 32' boat driving in traffic seems like a good idea to me. Ah, dream of Discs all around...$$$$$$

Second dead DUKW I'm trying not to even think of, as it's restoration is never going to be done by me....I'm just not parting her out though, maybe down the line once ONE is floating someone will desire it enough to drop a few grand on her resto. Sure could use an entire Deuce driveline under her as a good modification as the axles and spring mounts were removed....

If she were headed to a Museum I'd be installing the original parts, etc. but this is rough girl, and she will become a swimmer for the rest of MY life (or till she sinks) and safety upgrades are fine by me as I let show visitors know she's not 100% original for safety sake. I have no problems with that part, as there are many others tucked away in museums never to swim again or be seen again. This is NOT going to be a tour bus but a properly painted and appearing WWII DUKW.
Regards
W Winget
Virginia Military Preservation Association and don't forget the Mil Veh Show weekend of the 23rd Oct if your on the East Coast mid-Atlantic area.
www.VMPA.US

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX