Re: [MV] M35 muffler

From: Jim Stead (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 21:22:11 PDT

 I would have been interested in a muffler kit, but I've already added one
to my turbo deuce.
 I cut away a section of the vertical exhaust pipe and replaced it with a
walker muffler. I kept the original bend on top to keep the water out, and
used the original exhaust pipe mount to hold the weight of the muffler. I
bent 3/8 threaded rod around the 6" muffler and drew it into the mount. I
put a 3/4" spacer between the mount and the muffler to keep it perfectly
vertical. Painted like the rest of the truck it blends right in. Few people
even notice, unless I point it out.
 The noise reduction is significant. No, it's not a quiet truck. The engine
noise, gear noise, and wheel noise are still very loud at highway speeds.
Without ear protection your ears will ring after highway trips. However, you
can talk in the cab w/o ear protection and you don't have to yell. For
shorter highway trips, some of my passengers don't even feel the need for
headphones anymore. At less than highway speeds the noise is totally
acceptable and generally requires no ear protection. I can't say that about
this deuce before the muffler.
 I do sometimes miss the stupendous noise of the exhaust at full throttle,
but more often than not I don't. This modification has been one of the best
things I've done to the truck. Some people do not mind, or even like, the
unmuffled noise...but to everyone else I highly recommend a muffler.

Jim