RE: [MV] Duce won't run after fuel filters changed...Eureaka... it now runs...

From: Alex (alex@glx.net)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 20:35:53 PDT

I'd like to thank all those who posted or emailed me with the various
possibilities of what might be wrong. There seemed to be a consensus
that the truck could have been running without the in-tank primary pump
working. Many pointed out their own experiences with this. Some of you
described the fuel system layout and suggested a logical troubleshooting
sequence. Thanks to all.

I called around to a few vendors for a new pump... all they had was new
and they were over $400. I asked about just mounting a general purpose
24volt pump in the fuel line ($65 at NAPA). (Some of you suggested that
approach if the pump were bad.) One dealer told me that the OEM pump was
a high volume pump and would tend to "circulate" more fuel via the
bypass back to the tank. This would keep things flowing better in very
cold weather. It sounded good to me so I decided to pull the pump and
check for obvious problems... I also didn't have a spare $450 laying
around.

I found a sealed motor magnetically coupled to a screened-in impeller
assembly. That assembly was connected to the top fuel fitting by a 1/2
inch length of rubber hose. I cleaned everything and disassembled as
much as I could of the impeller assembly. It seemed to be dragging a
little, but was moving freely by the time I finished. I reassembled the
unit, put it in the tank and measured the pressure at the pump. It was
at 7 psi. Right where the TM said it should be. Opened the bleeder on
the secondaries and a small flow of fuel came out. This was promising.
Cranked the motor for about 7-8 seconds and it came to life and seemed
to be running well. By this time it was past 9:30 and I wanted to end
the day on that happy note. Tomorrow, a test drive around the block and
Friday the homecoming parade!
Cheers,
Alex