Re: [MV] spin on oil filter adapter update-John Deere gaskets

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 09:17:24 PDT

RAM

Thanks for the John Deere number. I'll try that.
I've tried some Baldwin gaskets that are about .100
thick and are rubber. They work okay but they won't
take much torque before the canister cuts through
them. Finally on the last oil change I just used the
paper gaskets that come in the WIX or Napa filters and
torqued it right to 60 ft. lbs. They have been
seeping ever since but that is as good as they seem to
get. I even cleaned up the bottom of the canisters
with a sheet of sandpaper on a granite inspection
table. Next time I pull the filters I'm going to
check the long bolt that goes through the canister for
straightness. Maybe they are bent and are pulling
unevenly?

Thanks,

Marc