Re: [MV] Stagnant Gasoline

From: Sonny Heath (sonny@defuniak.com)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 17:48:58 PDT

About 15 years ago, 1989 I believe, I was talking to a man in Deland,
Florida who owned a small engine business about this very subject. He
collected antique farm engines as I did and do and he said that he had just
received a bulletin from Craftsman which said that gasoline can and will go
stale in as little as 30 days and could be varnish in as little as 60 days.

Kenny, the key that I had cut worked like a charm. Thanks Buddy! The Chebby
is home and in the shop with dead dead batteries. I filled them with water
and put the charger on but I'm pretty sure they will be bad from either
being low/dry on water and/or sitting too long. I shall see tomorrow after
they fry overnight. I'll probably put a coupla temporaries in it tomorrow
to see if it comes to life. The only parts I see missing is three lifting
shackles so I'm more than satisfied so far. The tires are about 90% and the
spare still has the paper on it. One of the alternators appears to have
been replaced but nothing has been cobbled up so I think I may have a
keeper.

Thanks Kenny,

Sonny

P.S. Anybody within reach of the Florida panhandle know where I can but blem
or second batteries?