RE: [MV] canvas cleaning

From: Wayne Harris (papercu@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 14:06:48 PDT

Check out the sailboats websites they use canvas for lots of things or if
you are near the ocean or large lakes there are services that do it for you
(and weatherproofing) You can re-waterproof canvas with products such as
AQUA-TITE or CAMP-DRY (silicone water repellents) or other fabric
treatments. Do not use Thompsons Water Seal or other products not formulated
specifically for fabric. Check the label! They will make the fabric stiff
and change the color. Monitor the stitching and if it starts looking fuzzy
or thin take the piece in for restitching before the seam falls apart.

To prevent mildew growth on canvas. Get a pump spray bottle and fill it with
50% white vinegar, 50% water. Whenever you wash down the truck (and after
heavy rains) spray the canvas with this solution – especially the under side
of the tiedowns and on top of the bows. The vinegar won’t hurt the canvas
but will prevent mildew growth.

Materials for Cleaning Seat Cushions and backs:
ADJUST AMOUNT FOR THE SIZE OF BUCKET!
Garden hose
1 tsp. dishwashing detergent
1 quart warm water
1 tsp. borax
Fabric protector spray (like Scotch Guard ) but test first unless you want a
shiny top

Pour the cleaning mixture into a spray bottle.

Saturate the cushions on both sides with the cleaning solution. Do not be
frugal -- you want to get a lot of the solution on. This is what will clean
off the mold and mildew. Be sure to get all the crevices and creases. The
more you put on now, the less you will have to do when you spray it off.

Let the cleaning solution set for 15 minutes.

With the garden hose on high, spray the cushions thoroughly to knock the
dirt and cleaning solution off the cushions.

Stand the cushions up on edge to let them dry. Let them dry to just damp.

Spray the cushions with a fabric protector. It will protect them and make
them easier to clean in the future.

BIG POINT!! IF IT GET WET, LET IT AIR DRY BEFORE INSTALLING.