Re: [MV] M41 Tank

From: Stuart Robinson (stalwart@mac.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 13:57:25 PDT

> On 21 Oct 2004 at 14:47, Larry Tighe wrote:
>
>> What is the reason the mil veh books (one written by a member on the
>> list) have virtually no mention of the M41 light tank?

Reasonably fast, EASY to drive, light armor, wimpy WW II gun, likes to
overheat (and burn if run too hard), reliable and gasoline powered for
LOUSY fuel range (range: 100-130 miles depending on whether they used
the carburated 895-3 or fuel injected 895-5). It's got it's plusses
and minuses. I'd still like to own one but rather fight in something
heavier with Diesel power, heavier armor and better gun.

>> I'm told by an old sarge these tanks could run 60 mph with the
>> governor disconnected. I've never heard any mention of these tanks on
>> the list or elsewhere. Any good reasons??

I have one of it's AA siblings, an M42A1 Duster. I can't see why you'd
want to turn that old 895 cid gas engine above 2800 rpm but I'd suspect
you'd be courting DISASTER! I could just imagine one or more
connecting rods coming loose on those 6-149 cid cylinders and creating
all sorts of havoc in the engine compartment with lots of fuel lines
(gasoline) and red hot exhaust plumbing. I'd think this might be VERY
exciting! It reminds me of someone who likes to cut apart and scrap
Alvis Stalwart trucks with a cutting torch REGARDLESS of the fuel state
in the tank. I've been told that it can make an otherwise rectangular
fuel tank, ROUND with plenty of fiery excitement for onlookers . . .

I also seriously doubt the ability of that measly 500 hp gasoline
engine to actually get 50,000 lbs rolling faster than 40-45 unless you
were on a serious downhill grade.

On Oct 21, 2004, at 12:53 PM, Henrik Teller wrote:

> The vehicles were up-graded in 1985 to 1987 to a local specification.
>
> More can be read at http://www.armyvehicles.dk/m41.htm

I find the specs on this website strange (read wrong) and I suspect
someone has been fed some BAD data. The only GM Allison CD 500-3
Crossdrive transmission I know of has TWO forward speeds (one reverse)
and NO transfer case attached. The site claimed a three speed
transmission and two speed transfer.

Stuart and Jane Robinson
Alvis Scorpion CVR(T)
Fox CVR(W)