RE: [MV] Its a Chev Not Ford - Big Tranny Woes

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 06:46:10 PDT

That is an electronically shifted trans. If the shifts aren't slipping, and
it just doesnt TRY to shift to 4th, I would expect the problem to most
likely be an electrical issue (range switch in the trans, solenoid in the
valve body, vehicle speed signal problem, any related wiring, etc). In many
cases it would set a code in the computer. Possibly a 3-4 shift valve
sticking in the valve body too. Unless the repair shops are able to pull
codes AND diagnose them, it may be best to take to a Chevy dealer as they
have the correct scan tool and service information to diagnose it properly.
They can use the scan tool to see IF the computer is sending a shift command
to the trans to begin with. They can also command the shifts manually and
see how the trans responds.

If the aftermkt shops just pulled the trans out and "rebuilt" it, in other
words, installing new clutches/seals, that would have not fixed any of the
problems listed above, including a sticking shift valve.