"jeep in a crate

From: everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 16:17:34 PDT

I read somewhere that "airplanes in a crate" did exist in shipping terminals
at end of WW II and were auctioned off - in some cases buyer took crate
material and left airplane

I grew up in a little town in Ark. where thousands of planes were turned
into blocks of aluminum - but they were all flown in, story was that the
gasoline was drained and sold for enought to pay for planes.

Everette

Some of these were however sold off by Crown Assets
Disposal, only to find- or so im told- that some of
them during the course of their storage had sufferred
varying degrees of canibalization for parts for bikes
still in service. You know, a wheel missing, a
gastank, or headlight or something like that. Still
they'd be nice to have today.

cheers
Marc