Re: (MV) Breaking beads down- clarification

From: Movnmanj1@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 09:13:04 PDT

Jim,
    Your right, don't trust any of them. While the military rims are somewhat better built than others, ANY of them are subject to coming off. In absence of the truck,(excellent idea, by the way), I have used 1/2" chains, about 10' long, grab hooks on each end, and chained through the rim and around the tire in 4 places. The inflation cage is better and easier to use.
     As to my method of putting the wheel back on the truck and driving it back and forth, I use this only with old, hardened tires, which is what our fellow lister was up against, I believe. For normal demounting, the tire hammer works great, especially with the Murphy's Tire Soap. If you don't have that available, Dawn detergent will work as well. Just add a little water and soak the bead joint. Somewhat messy, but really helps. On trucks which are run on a regular basis, tires usually demount easily-- well, I guess it depends on one's definition of easy! LOL

Thanks,
John