Re: [MV] Removing CARC WITHOUT Sanding

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 09:14:30 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Sherman" <richs@volcano.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Removing CARC WITHOUT Sanding

> At 07:57 AM 10/26/2004, STEVE Hill wrote:
> >At the risk of resurrecting the CARC debate, I need to know if the use of
> >paint stripper on CARC poses any additional hazards than it would with
> >ordinary paint. I know I don't want to use a sander or grinder on CARC,
> >so it would seem that by using stripper I could get rid of the paint
> >without releasing the particles into the air. But, would the fumes be
any
> >more dangerous with CARC?
>
> I'm the same boat. I want to paint my Mutt, but it has at least three
costs
> of paint now, and the top one is a thick CARC layer that almost looks
brush
> painted.
>
> Also, I need two front wheel brake cylinders, 1". Anyone have a couple?
>
> Paint advice appreciated!

Any of the usual dealers from Supply Line or Military Vehicles magazines
stocks the 1" (front) M151 cylinders. The last bunch I bought were about
$16.50 ea.

Your 151 was painted CARC when you got it? Cool. I've never seen one,
though the pattern certainly exists in the 1990-ish Paint-by-Numbers manual.
Was it National Guard by any chance? As to the "looks like it was put on
with a brush", are you referring to the drips and sags? They seem to be on
pretty much every CARC-painted vehicle I've seen - either because the
painting-types were ordered to "lay it on thick" or they just did so anyway
out of indifference. If you find yourself a nice, big drip on a CARC
paintjob and play around with it using a penknife or similar, you can easily
see exactly why the CARC is a "coating" rather than a paint. It dries/cures
rock-hard!