Re: [MV] Interesting Generator project.... IT RUNS! (Needs tune up)

From: Caleb Pal - MilVeh (m1009@defcon-3.net)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 18:55:48 PST

Hey guys,

Well here is the latest on this project. Yesterday went over to the guys
house and started taking stuff apart. Unhooked fuel, electrical and freon
lines (the system was empty). We then loosened the 4 bolts that hold this
unit on. Appoz dimensions are 6 feet long, 3 feet high, and 3 feet wide. We
used a bobcat type machine with a forklift attachment on the front, and
loaded it on a trailer. Got it home, and put a battery in it, and no
electrical worked at all. Crap. So I re-wired it all for temporary testing.
Took power to the electric fuel pump, glow plugs, injector pump solinoid,
and the starter solinoid. Tried cranking it, it cranked slow. Took a look at
the oil, it was very black, and almost goey, been sitting for a long time.
Drained all the oil, and filled it up with Delo 15W 40. The battery wasn't
cranking it like I thought it should, so I replaced it with another. Got it
cranking faster, and got it to "clack" once with a shot of ether. Got the
fuel lines bled more, used more ether, and it fired up straight to full
throttle. Cool. It is electrically controlled throttle so I disconnected
that and made it manual.

It smokes a LOT. It will idle fine, a little rough, and a little smoky, but
when I go to the goverened full throttle, it starts smoking a lot, and seems
to run rough. I am not a diesel mechanic, any ideas why it would be running
rough and smoking a lot? Its just kinda bluish standard diesel smoke, not
white or anything. I might try a few things tomarrow with it and see what
happens. But otherwise, seems to run ok, my guess is it hasn't run for 5-10
years. Next is getting it running nicely and hopefully less smoke, if I get
some suggestions there. It might still be getting the old fuel and stuff run
out, or clogged/dirty injectors. Might try injector cleaner tomarrow.

Thanks everyone!

Caleb

> Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 2:06 AM
> Subject: [MV] Interesting Generator project....Vegetable oil
>

> > Hello all,
> >
> > This isn't very MV related, but it isn't election/kerry/bush related, so
> > hope some people can shed some ideas on my project. Ok, so since my
> project
> > to convert a M35A2 to run on vegetable oil was turned down by the school
> and
> > the financial comittee, even though I would pay the $500 for the M35A2,
> they
> > disaproved it. So I found a small diesel engine on the bottom of a
"Refer"
> > tractor trailer that powers the cooler. Its in a cage on the bottom with
> > 150 gallon round diesel tank for fuel. The guy is letting me have the
> unit,
> > so I am going to drop it onto a trailer, and convert this sucker to run
on
> > straght vegetable oil. It has about 2200 hours on it, which seems kind
of
> > high? I don't think it was run hard, just a steady rpm for a long amount
> of
> > time. Any suggestions there? I was thinking of pulling the ac compressor
> off
> > of it, and hooking a 12v alternator up to it. I think its a 4 cyl diesel
> > engine, so a little overkill for just running an alternator, but it
sould
> do
> > the trick. I think right now its bolted right up to the compressor, so I
> > will need to figure out a way to get a pully on the shaft or whatever is
> on
> > the end of the engine. I need to get a manufacturer name and some stuff
> off
> > the engine and the whole unit tomarrow, but if anyone has any ideas or
> > suggestions, they are more than welcome. Its a pretty good sized engine,
> the
> > starter looks to be almost the size of a small block chevy, started by 2
> 6v
> > battereies wired in sieres. the idea is that I have a backup system with
> > 600 watt inverter for all of my servers, and with this I can have the
> > alternator charge the 2 deep cycle 6v batteries for a longer power
outage,
> > and could run it to save on the power bill if the vegetable oil is free.
> MV
> > content, I was thinking about using a CUCV alternator I have here, off
of
> > M1008 when it was converted to 12v. I think it was over-voltaging? What
> > would fry in the alternator to cause this? The inverter at full load
> should
> > pull about 60 amps DC, so that alternator should be able to keep up.
Maybe

<mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>