Re: [MV] Interesting Generator project....Vegetable oil

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 05:11:06 PDT

Caleb:

What charges the two 6-volt batteries that are now on the unit? Are they
charged from the main 12-volt truck alternator, when it is hooked to the
tractor? If it is a semi-trailer, and it might be set out away from its
tractor for a spell, and then restarted, what would be keeping its batteries
ready to do this? I wonder if there is already an alternator on the engine.
Can you get the engine started? Try putting a digital Voltmeter across the
two batteries while it is running. If the dVm reads anything higher than 12
Vdc while it is running, then something is charging the batteries. A voltage
in the range of 13.8 V to 14.3 V would indicate an alternator at work.

apb