Re: [MV] M35 Exhaust Brake installation/deceleration discussion

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 00:19:10 PST

How about an article called
"DOWNSHIFTING WITH COMMON SENSE"
or
"HOW NOT TO DESCEND A GRADE LIKE A MORON"

The cartoon that David posted is very entertaining but
if you read between the lines you'd see that the real
problem is blown engines. Aside from driver
inexperience, the synchronized transmission is partly
to blame for that. The ability to shift to a lower
gear when the engine is already tapped out will cause
the famous destruction we've all heard of. Also, if
the military would move that fancy red arrow back to
2200 or 2300 rpm they would have better luck also.

I have been preached to about the lack of engine
braking in a diesel more than once, and yes I
understand it. But to claim that leaving the truck in
a higher gear to avoid overspeeding the engine will
get you down a hill safer is stupid and reckless.
And, even with my improper driving, I can't recall the
last time I overrevved my M35's engine. Must be luck.

Bjorn, thanks for the experiment. I look forward to a
full report in the next issue of MV mag.

Marc,
weekend driver
of quad axle milk and dump trucks, school buses, boom
trucks, and one lowly old deuce.