Re: [MV] M35 Exhaust Brake installation

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 01:02:44 PST

The multifuel engine DOES have a small amount of engine braking capability
due to the compression of air (like all diesels) when the rolling motion
turns the engine over with very little fuel injected. Most of this
compressed air is turned back into torque and horsepower (when multiplied by
the rpm), BUT some of the heat created when the air is compressed is
transferred away by the coolant and dissipated in the radiator. This heat
dissipated and the engine's natural resistance to motion is its braking
horsepower.
This "negative" horsepower is a function of rpm and the higher the rpm the
higher the braking power of the engine. I made test runs some time ago and
estimated the maximum braking horsepower of the LDT465-1D to be about 50Hp.
The xhaust brake can double that.

One can calculate how much power it takes to drive a vehicle at a certain
speed with a certain gross weight when descending a hill of a certain slope.
I have done that and confirmed it with my truck, which was weighed for the
occasions.

I also concluded that to drive down the hill in the same gear as you ascent
it would require the addition of some braking power from the service brakes.
For a long descent, go even slower and use no service brakes! But driving a
loaded deuce at 4mph may not be practical on the highway.

The bottom line is that the higher the rpm the higher the braking power.
The exhaust brake lets you drive faster downhill because it adds braking
power.

If you shift into a higher gear (going down the mountain) and have to rely
on the service brakes alone there is a good chance that the brakes will
overheat and fade. At this point you stand to lose a lot more than just your
brake linings.

Williams patented the exhaust brake in 1957, so it has been around for a
while.

The fact is that the engine's cooling system can dissipate a lot more heat
for a longer period of time than the service brakes, so why not use it
especially downhill when the engine cools off anyway?

Bjorn