Re: [MV] Winch guides

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 16:37:58 PST

--- m35products <m35prod@optonline.net> wrote:

> Hi Bill:
>
> What you need is called a "fairlead" which consists
> of two horizontal
> rollers, and two vertical rollers. If you would go
> to MileMarker's website,
> and look at the page with winch accessories, you
> will see one, as an
> example, that would be OK for the M35 application.
> You could probably
> fabricate one from rod and tubing, too.
>
> http://www.milemarker.com/winch-accessories.html
>
> Arthur P. Bloom
> MileMarker Dealer
> Toll Free 866-749-0100 Ext 1
> Visa MC Discover
++++++
Sorry to pop this one, Art,

According to the "Fine Manual", as in: "Read the Fine
Manual", front mounted winches aren't supposed to have
fairleads. Using the front-mounted winch in anything
but a straight-ahead pull will put too much stress on
the steering components.

The sides of the winches on the M-135/211 will cause
the cable to slide up and over the winch drum foiling
any attempt to pull from the side, but even a fairlead
will not let the cable wind up evenly acrossed the
drum, it will bunch up on the side and jam.

Joe