Re: [MV] Deuce production?

From: Steve & Jeannie Keith (cckw@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 16:23:19 PST

They made 562,750 GMC model CCKW's in WW2.

Studebaker and REO made about 198,000 deuces of a Studebaker design mostly
for Lend-Lease.

IHC made about 45,000 for the Marines

Yes, they made them from WW2 till 1986?. The later post WW2 deuces
(M-series)
were both bigger and heavier than the WW2 variety

The WW2 deuces and the later M-series multi-fuel deuces had a 5 speed OD.
Becuase the transmission
has the shifter mounted on top, and they wanted an overdrive, what they did
was swap what would have
been the 4th gear gears, large for small on the two shafts where they are
mounted. This makes the OD gear
in what would have been the 4th gear position. With the shift lever back
towards the seat, it is in direct drive
straight thru the transmission. The position away from the seat is the next
lower gear, or OD depending upon
which shaft the smaller gear is on.

For the WW2 GMCs and Studebakers

w/o OD with OD