Re: [MV] Souping up a MUTT

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 15:54:25 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Webster" <james.webster@iomartdsl.com>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Souping up a MUTT

> Bjorn Brandstedt wrote:
> > What about the ignition system? How much would electronic ignition
> > improve performance?
>
> Performance? PERFORMANCE??? sorry I thought this was the 'restore them
> as the original vehicle' MV list not the hot-rodders list.
>
> ;-)
>
> This ought to keep everyone going till the elections in the UK.

They came with either the points-and-condenser system or either of two
styles of electronic "breakerless" ignition. Whether the upgrade resulted
in the "longer, hotter spark" or not is probably an open question, but all I
know is that while I can grab a point file to clean up crap contacts enough
to get me to the next payphone (or off the mountain at least), the same
can't be said for a misbehaving M151 electronic setup.

I never thought of the M151 as underpowered in comparison to the older
family mil 1/4 tons, though it sure could've used a low range option in the
transfer. I've had quite a few occasions where I've been going up a
mountainside on a fairly moderate grades and had to keep it floored in
places I'd normally have just gone to low range in the transfer. In those
cases I guess you could say it was 'underpowered' with some justification -
though I'd be more tempted to call it "undergeared" myself. :)

I always thought the biggest room for improvement on those was the carb.
They seem to....suck....and not in the good, design-spec kinda way. Getting
a rebuilt carb from one of the guys in Supply Line was the best investment I
ever made with respect to that vehicle, as before that I'd basically gone
through boxfulls of Zenith carbs trying to assemble one which would actually
idle properly, accelerate properly and perform at highway speeds properly.
Like looking for the Grail. Friends have used NOS Holley carbs in place of
the Zeniths on their own 151s, but I've yet to hear a kind word said about
'em either (at least within our own Chapter anyways.)

You could probably play with the ignition timing a bit, as I think they were
purposely set to run somewhat more retarded than necessary due to
uncertainties concerning the quality of fuel which would be available in
battlefield conditions (i.e., octane rating of rat piss.) I'm no expert,
but given the minimum octane rating of today's civvy fuels, you should be
able to advance the timing a few degrees without suffering any ill effects,
and possibly gaining a bit of performance.

I like mine just as it is anyway. I just don't really want to time myself
through the 1/4 mile with four-wheel drum brakes and dodgy ND tires. :)

(Besides, I think the data plate gives the zero-to-sixty spec as "By
Appointment Only"...)