Re: [MV] HUMVEE hit a land mine in Iraq.

From: M151 (m151@cox.net)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 19:53:33 PST

I have seen the bad end that an M113 can come to. It is not pretty. They
burn quite easily, those older ones growing weeds even more so. If you had
ever had to fish through what was left of one looking for personal items
from a buddy, chipping out the melted aluminum as you go, you would
understand. They are easily defeated by just about any mine short of a
simple toe popper. Troops used to ride on top of them rather than inside
because they thought it safer to take fire than be trapped in an explosion!
Fifty cals whistle right through or create spalling on the inside from
impact. That is when things fly off the inside of the hull from the impact
of a projectile on the outside. If you have not seen it with your own eyes,
or worse yet smelled the aftermath then you just can't understand.

I have no personal experience with the Humvee armor so can not speak to it,
we were still driving the Mutts when I was in.

Just my own 2 cents worth drawn from practical experience.
David Brubaker
MVPA # 18115
KCØNZN
Owner - M151A2