Re: [MV] Highway truck scales

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 16:27:49 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bjorn Brandstedt" <super_deuce@hotmail.com>

> A new question now emerges: What is the "real" GVWR for the deuce.

My truck weighs about 14,000 pounds empty. The tag on the dash (it was put
there by the manufacturer) states the capacity of the truck is 2.5 tons off
road and 5 tons on the highway. That means the factory's, which is all that
maters in these cases, indicated my truck has a potential gross weight of
24,000 pounds loaded.

Laws change, but a few years ago the manufacturers rating is all that
mattered. We found out the hard way that buying a truck rated at over
26,000 meant only a CDL driver could operate even if you tagged it for less
than 26,000. I think we have the paid ticket to prove it :-)

Joe Trapp

And yes, I have forgotten more than I remember.