Re: [MV] Link to an interesting court case

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 08:35:44 PST

Jeff,

Interesting stuff. Any links you know of? Otherwise I'll Google. Not
that it will change how I behave :-) Usually the seller doesn't suffer
at all. The item usually goes for the same or higher price than the
"conspirators" were willing to pay anyway. And sometimes "collusion"
works out better for the seller. Example...

I see my buddy bids on Widget for $20. I decide not to bid without
contacting him (i.e. no collusion). Then I send him an email and ask if
he is just "trolling" or genuinely interested. If it is the former then
I ask if he wouldn't mind me overbidding if I really want it. If the
answer is yes, I bid it up higher. If nobody else bids, the seller gets
it for my higher bid, not my buddy's lower one. If someone else bids the
final price will be even higher. MUCH higher if I put in a much larger
bid than my buddy.

So the way I see it... the seller has nothing to complain about.

Steve