Re: [MV] Diesel engine woes, M1009 timing chain?

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 13:29:15 PST

My M1010 had a banging/thrumming sound at idle, in gear at a light or stop,
that went away as soon as the rpms increased a little. Was finally localized
as the hoses from the PS pump going to the brake booster vibrating on the
inner wheel well. Several M1010 owners and other CUCV owners who looked at
the problem suggested fixes, including wrapping the offending hoses with
pieces of carpet to stop theme from banging. Very close inspection of the
problem, along with very hard tugging on the hoses, revealed that the bolts
holding the PS pump to it's bracket had loosened, allowing the pump to
wiggle enough at idle and whack the hoses against the fender. The force of
the hoses at the back of the pump pulled the pump sheave against the
bracket, concealing the screws backing out. Once tightened, the previously
over looked, high pitched 'SCREECH' of the sheave contacting the bracket was
noticeably missing. The noise was just something else that had always been
present since I had gotten the truck, just another unfamiliar, peculiar
noise of the 6.2 diesel.
    Your mileage may vary.....

Ronzo