Re: [MV] Changing Gears

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 13:24:06 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "m35products" <m35prod@optonline.net>

> I demonstrated to a friend how I could shift up and down through all the
> gears on my M35 without using the clutch. He is an acknowleged expert on
> things automotive. His advice was "don't" because a synchro gear box needs
> to be used the way it was designed, or bad things can happen to the
> synchros. He did not elaborate, but I have stopped showing off since then.

I agree completely and will have to add that all the M35's I have driven
where all synchronized and they should be driven like a small car :-)

If you ever drive a big rig with the unsynchronized transmission you will
know the difference. It's hard to imagine without driving one. My truck
probably has some wear to the synchro's because it is hard to shift. One of
my "one day down the road fixer uppers" shifts very smooth.

I would expect double clutching or no clutching to wear the synchro's. I
don't see how it couldn't. If it doesn't shift smooth it is something wrong
with it and it will probably give you trouble down the road.

Joe Trapp