Re: [MV] M3A1 scout car serial numbers don't match

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 09:46:12 PST

Joe wrote:
>I took some pictures of a Scout car recently and was looking the pictures
>over a few minutes ago and made a discovery. The picture of the dash plate
>has a serial number. I took a picture of the serial number that is stamped
>in the frame behind the left front tire. These two numbers don't match.
>They are both 6 digit numbers but they only have the first number in common.
>Is this right? Did someone take a dash plate from a junk car and put it on
>this one?

   The data plate may be off another vehicle but..........

  Scout cars are one of the most difficult vehicles to restore correctly.........there are SO many changes between each contract.......to do it correctly you must know your ORD serial number and not just the actual VIN number stamped on the frame. The part manuals list everything by Lot number and the serial numbers they show to determine what vehicles are in which lot is by the ORD serial number and NOT the frame number (VIN). I have just about finished the restoration on a Lot # 7 scout car and we were lucky that the original data plate was still on it.

   There are two serial numbers on a scout car.

 One is the actual VIN # which is the same as the one stamped in the frame.

The other serial # is the ORD # given to the vehicle by the Ordnance Corps (US Army) which was responsible for the contract and production on these vehicles.

 Joe, check the data plate again and see if the number that does not match the frame is the ORD number. If so....check on page 5 of the ORD 7-8-9 (SNL G-67) and you will be able to determine which Lot the scout car is from.

   If you do not have a copy of the Ord -9 they can be obtained from Portrayal Press.

Jim Gilmore