RE: [MV] The Battle of Algiers now Dien Bien Phu

From: Nigel Hay -MILWEB (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 07:33:04 PST

Without wishing you to think I have only an interest in French films, I
would also commend to you the 1990s film Dien Bien Phu about the legion's
defeat in 1954 has some excellent vehicle footage, its a very good account
of how the Legion was besieged for months and then most marched into
captivity afer taking huge losses. The contempory vehicles used in the
lavish set will interest many on this list. And its colour and is more a
drama than the battle of Algiers. Its available in Enhglish too..... When I
lived in Canterbury, I used to know a Polish chap , a jewish fellow whose
family were wiped out during WW2. He dropped with the Polish at Arnhem and
after the war joined th foriegn legion and was captured at Dien Bien Phu,
but escaped. How did i meet him? I went to my yard one morning to find what
i thought was a tramp asleep in the back of my GMC CCKW, turned out Charlie
"Pork Roll" ( never could pronounce his name) had a skinfull in a pub up the
lane and never made it home. He awoke to tell me that he had slept many
nights in theback of a Jimmy and then started to tell me his life story.
 As an aside, my hairdresser ( stylist shurely) here in France it turns out
was a soldier who took part in the battle for Algiers. He is a big fan of
the Dodge 6X6 which they used with oversize tryes. He was a regular soldier
not a paratrooper.