Re: [MV] WINCHING & RECOVERY

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 11:58:41 PST

At 7:40 PM +0000 12/1/04, noel shelley wrote:
>Good Evening Again ,
> Whilst a tree is probably the most solid
>object to use for winching , here is an old trick that might help you out of
>the woods !
>In your compendium or tricks should be 3 stout poles, best of steel &
>pointed about 4 feet long & 2 or 2½ " Dia ,ideally with ring or length of
>chain attached to the top . To use , drive the first about half way into the
>ground at an angle {75 *} ,do the same with the second about three feet
>apart taking a rope or chain from the top of No 1 to the ground on No2 ,
>repeat for No 3 but drive most of the way in . You`ve now linked top of 1 to
>middle of 2 , top of 2 to middle of 3 , now secure your winch cable to the
>bottom of No1 , provided the ground is not the consistence of whipped cream
>you should have a good anchor !

There is an army TM or FM that shows how to do
this. Its all about rigging and lashing things.
How to build a field expedient crane with just
logs, rope and a couple of pulleys. The above
trick was shown with several wooden post sunk
into the ground and lashed as you describe. The
neatest trick I've seen for winching is to use a
boat anchor as a winching aid.

There are a bunch of interesting methods listed here:
http://www.landyonline.co.za/techtalk/vehicle_recovery.htm

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -