RE: [MV] MVs On Train Pics

From: Glenn Shaw (mpmutt@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 21:50:48 PST

Hi
In my railroad experience I would have to say that the coal story is
probably an old wives tale. All American built steam locos made in the
1900's were required to be built with automatic overpressure bleedoff valves
as well as backup emergency safties. The overpressure valve is the one you
hear cycling when a train is sitting in a station with the fired loco
idling. It does not matter how much or what type of coal you stuff into her
the pressure can not exeed safe levels. The problem sometimes came from
another source however and did lead to some boiler explosions. That was
crews who were trying to get more power than designed from the loco wiring
down the relief valves. This will give you quite a bit more power until you
blow up if it isnt your day. They used to refer to it as WEP (War emergency
power).

Glenn