Re: [MV] How many vehicles destroyed before making it "In Theater"

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 19:00:55 PST

Girlfriends father was in Japan when ordered to Korea for the start of
that war. They didn't have anything to lash down their trucks to the
deck with except multiple wraps of a number 9 type wire. It just had to
be that the mess truck and it's trailer was over on the starboard side
next to the lifeline and when the water got a little rough...they went
over the side.
Had an uncle Albert that worked as a foreman at a company in Cincinnati
that made machine tools...said they built two extra long bed engine
lathes so someone in the UK could manufacture a certain gun
barrel...they went to the bottom compliments of a U-Boat.
I have a question for most anyone who wants to answer or give an
educated guess...If an artillery piece had the barrel shot out (as in
worn out)...do they ever re-sleeve them to bring it back in tolerance?
Or is it new barrel time? I know of one ship I was on shot over 10,000
rounds through her 2- 5" 38s while on the gunline in Viet Nam. She
missed the 2nd war being commissioned in 1945 and guns were in pretty
good shape before Nam..(USS Harwood DD/DDE 861) If you do a search of
her you'll find out that in 1973 she was given/sold/leased to the
Turkish navy and due to a blunder...Turkish planes bombed and sunk her
there in the Mediteranean. Not a very fitting end to an old friend.
Fred Martin