Re: [MV] Train Pics-war contribution

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 11:58:53 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>
<mil-veh@mil-veh.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Train Pics-war contribution

> At 11:09 AM -0800 12/2/04, chance wolf wrote:
> >
> >Cool. <sneaking in obligatory military vehicles content> Just make sure
> >you get the markings right on your CMP or MB/GPW or Dodge APT 3/4 or
you'll
> >have us walking around going "damn Colonials!" :)
>
> I got a "nicely restored and stowed Mk II Dingo" in Military Machines
> Magazine a while back. And we're constantly getting asked about our
> CMP C-15 "I've worked on a lot of Chevys, but I ain't never seen one
> of those....looks kinda tough, I like that..."

Heh. We get that too. Every time you take a CMP Ford or Chevy out in public
you get people thinking you don't know what you're talking about when you
suggest Ford or Chevy once made something so...unique. And RHD. It's also
fun watching people who think the War was fought by 6' tall 200 lb guys
climb in the cab and try to do...well...anything, really. :)

Members of our local MVPA Chapter, "Western Command" have a decent
assortment of WWII Canadian stuff between them, a lot of which actually
regularly shows up to events. It's pretty much only recently that the
locals seem to have renewed an interest in the CMPs after the
cheap-and-available years of newer surplussed stuff like M-37s, M38A1s and
M135s - and now it's not unusual to see three out at the same event. (Not
trailered to/from either. Driven all the way! Masochists all, says I...)

Locally we also have an older-restoration Daimler Dingo (recently lent to
the Dutch community of Lynden, WA for a year-long exhibit in their museum),
a Cab 11 F8, a Cab 11 FAT beautifully restored by one of our members on
behalf of a local military unit's museum, and at least 4-5 Cab 13 C15s
either restored or under restoration. They're sure a hit with the vets when
they stop by. It's just a shame we couldn't have fielded them a few years
earlier when more vets were around to be a hit *with*.

(It's also fun to tell people that your Jeep was built by Ford. One local
AMC/Chrysler dealership had a restored M38 featured prominently on their
showroom floor to help up-sell the public on the long-established, hard-core
traditions of AMC dating back to WWII. Someone politely informed them that
the data plate had been screaming "Ford" at prospective AMC customers since
the day they rolled the thing in, and it magically disappeared from view
shortly thereafter. Some people just have no sense of humour. ;)