Door latch mechanism and plow size.

From: Krogerma@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 14:14:57 PST

Hi, Guys!!

I hope the list can help me again. Hopefully I won't start any more controversies like I did with the tale of the muratic acid path for de-rusting my deuce parts :-).

The first thing is relatively simple. My driver door won't open from the outside anymore. I took it all aprt and got the actual latch mechanism out. The handle and the square axle it is attached to look OK. I think the problem is that the little dog on the inside of the latch mechanism that is supposed to push the latch back in is worn off. This is something that happened gradually. It was getting worse over time and one day it just sort of quit working. It doesn't look like the latch assembly is designed to come apart easily, so instead of wasting time rebuilding parts as I usually do, I thought I'd see who has one for sale. Anybody got any?

The second thing I'd like to know is what size plow can I put on the deuce. Is there some max weight it should be limited to for reasons of not stressing the front suspension too much? The hydraulic system I built will handle any plow with no problem, but I just worry about the suspension. A guy near me is giving away an old highway plow if I'll just take it away. It's a pretty good one. It is the type that go on single-axle highway trucks and are about 10 feet wide. Anybody have experience with sizing plows for a deuce?

I can put chains on if needed, but do I really need them with a 6x6 if I am primarily on level ground and can plan on getting a running start most of the time?

Cheers!
-Kurt Matis
Troy NY