Re: [MV] FMTV was Re: [MV] M35A3 closed at $45,949.00

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 15:39:52 PST

At 5:50 PM -0500 12/4/04, Ron wrote:
>Hi Glenn:
> IMHO, I have to differ with you on "The
>problems with them were all overblown in the
>media, fueled by S&S's competitors."
> We went around on this on the list a couple (4 or 5?) years ago.
> A simple Google of FMTV GAO or GAO M35A2
>yields links to the numerous Government
>Accounting Office reports on the problems. The
>GAO suggested in several of it's reports to dump
>the FMTV and stay with the M35A2 since the
>original 5 year replacement sequence was in the
>toilet and the improvements to fix 'New'
>vehicles would never make the FMTV a cost
>effective vehicle. Heck, the program makes sense
>to me. The prototypes don't work, let's give
>them a contract to build more of the trucks.

There's a corollary with military hardware that
is similar to the Good/Fast/Cheap principle (pick
two of the three).

Strong, Cheap, Light, Reliable. (Pick 3 of the 4).

Deuces are strong, Cheap (relatively), reliable
and but not light. The SS FMTV trucks are meant
to be light, cheap, reliable and strong. Some of
those qualities suffer when you try to make them
4 of the three. Ditch the cheap part and you'll
have the mission requirements. This is a problem
of the HMT trailer for the HMMWV.

Keep in mind the new trucks are trying to
minimize work needed to maintain it and reduce
the weight of the truck to allow for easier
air-transportation but still have the cargo
capacity and grade crossing ability of the
target. The Bugs will require money to get them
out.

One could say the same thing was a problem with
the HMMWV as compared to the older M37s and Jeeps.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)