Manifold Heater

From: Grant Stockly (grant@stockly.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 17:15:03 PST

Its 5 degrees Fahrenheit in Anchorage and I just started my M35. I cranked
it for a while, and it sputtered a few times. It started up and ran real
smooth once I gave it a little peddle to get it going... Maybe 5 minutes
later the white exhaust cloud disappeared. (block warming up?)

But what is exactly the manifold heater and why does it sound like a little
animal screaming? Is it just a big coil or what? It says to use it while
cranking and on and off until the thing heats up, so I did. I've never
tried starting it without it.

The only problem I've had with it so far this year is the solenoid froze
open, but after a few clicks it engaged. I'm not driving it, but I want to
keep all the juices flowing, etc. I've been starting it and letting it run
at 1000RPM for about 30-40 minutes once a month. Is that a good or bad
idea? I've doen that about 3 times so far this winter, and this is the
coldest time yet.

Grant