RE: [MV] .50 = DD? was: [MV] Ammo Cans and Fifties

From: Yuke.RF@forces.gc.ca
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 07:52:59 PST

No MV content but interesting?
Well if we are talking about how to do "rapid fire" how about this.
Many years ago I was talking to a gentleman at our military vehicle display
and it turned out he had been in the 1st Special Service Force (Devils
Brigade) he talked at length about his experiences (wish I had taped
recorded the conversation). The one thing I do remember was his description
and demonstration of rapid fire with a Mk 4 Lee Enfield. What they were
trained to do was hold the rifle in their left arm butt up against the body
trigger finger on the trigger. They then worked the bolt with the right
hand. The rapid fire part came about working the bolt with the right pulling
the trigger with the left hand. He said that the trigger was pulled just as
the bolt was pushed into the lock position. You did not lock the bolt all
the way down, you cycled the bolt back up as the trigger was pulled. He said
that the bolt would shoot back, you would then slam the bolt forward and
repeat till the magazine was empty. He said you could put a whole lot of
lead down range, no accuracy but then the idea was to keep the other guys
head down while you advanced.

Cheers Rick