Re: [MV] photo of suggestion

From: Mil-Veh Co. (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 17:28:24 PST

Good call Greg on those Rhodesian and South African
vehicles. (You guys really know your vehicles!)

I'm very familiar with the CROCODILE troop carrier
which is based on a commercial 5 ton diesel truck.
The angled steel shell of the hull provided ballistic
protection from grenade fragments and AK-47 rounds.
The charcteristic deep "V" of the hull was designed to
deflect the blast of landmines away from the occupants
inside the vehicle.

The LEOPARD was another mine and ambush protected
vehicle. Surprisingly, the VW Beetle was the donor
vehicle for the Leopard. The monocoque hull provided
ballistic protection against AK-47 rounds and the
sturdy externally mounted roll cage protected the
occupants from the inevitable roll-over in a mine
incident. The wheels were off set from the hull, a
feature designed to minimise the blast around the
hull. The vehicle could seat 5 - 6 people.

These vehicles worked great against most common land
mines and small arms, but the problem is we don't have
em and if we did the IED's used are more powerful than
mines most of the time. Still, they probably would be
helpful.

Next... if that explosive can turn sandbags and sheet
steel 1/2 thick into one large projectile, then it can
also turn your floor boards, transmission, frame
material, etc., into the same thing. In any case you
are toast.

There is no such thing as the perfect armor, case in
point, I've read reports of an Abrams taken out of
action by an RPG... a lucky shot. I've also seen
bullets glance off a thin glass windshield, so
something is better than nothing, i.e. 1/2 plate and
sandbags. I think its a start, if the deuce has
nothing for the floor protection.