Re: [MV] Improvised armor for MV in Iraq

From: Santoken (santoken@bright.net)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 18:16:12 PST

Steve Grammont wrote:

> Nice. Cliff is calling me a traitor for expressing an opinion that runs
> contrary to the current government handling of the war. No challenges to
> my discussion points, just insults. That's about as unAmerican as you
> can get. And Cliff is supposed to be defending American values... that
> is unsettling.

Look, Steve, could you give Cliff a bit of a break here. Frankly, I
feel that (given the situation) Cliff is at a slight disadvantage here.
  You, and I, and most others here, sit down to our favorite spot, in
front of our favorite computer, perhaps with our favorite beverage or
food and relax in a bit of catching up on email.

While I can't speak for Cliff, I'm sure he's currently lacking some of
his favorite [insert your favorite here]. So, to say that he is
slightly out of his element or routine is an understatement. I'll bet
he's a bit more testy and aggressive right now than normal. Hell, Cliff
might be living in a world of sh*t right now...and I forgive him.

> Sorry folks... I don't care if Cliff is off in Iraq risking his ass for
> this country. You have my respect for that. But I don't have respect
> for you as an American. Americans, real Americans, don't confuse a free
> discussion with treason. That is because real Americans embrace
> differences of opinion, not try to shout it down with heavy handed tactics.

What the really interesting part right here is that he is off 'risking
his ass' not only for this country, but so you can have the luxury to
criticize him as a person. It's very easy for any one of us to pass
judgement regarding this issue, that is not a God given right, but
rather an American given right. A right that has be earned and
maintained by lives. Lives from guys just like Cliff.

I'm not making excuses for Cliff...nor giving him a 'crutch'. All I'm
saying is that I think this discussion has gone too far. We have all
endured enough through all this...'can't we all just get along?'

On an MV note, what was the intention of the M998 anyway? Was it not a
replacement for the Jeep models? The 151's were not armored. It was,
as one put it, never designed to be armored. Where did this concern
originate? All you hear is armor this, and armor that.

Perhaps now is the time for a US contractor (who owns a HMMWV for a
pattern) to fabricate an 'up-armor' bolt-on package?

Kent