Re: [MV] Improvised armor for MV in Iraq

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 08:47:03 PST

Hi Jack,

Remember the laws of physics... if it can swing around, it will. Or
something like that :-) Just picture the driver coming to a sudden stop
at even 5 or 10 mph... what do you picture happening to the contraption
underneath? The chains would most likely let the plate and bags move
around too much, putting strain on the chains and fittings, potentially
slamming it around into things it shouldn't be swung into, or letting the
bags fall out.

The idea of under mounting though is obviously a fine idea provided it
doesn't interfere with maintenance. It's just I would guess that a
ridged, welded system would be better than chains. Like you say, these
trucks are being used on hard surfaces almost all of the time so it isn't
like they couldn't function with a little less ground clearance.

Steve