Re: [MV] 5 Ton tire changing

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 04:08:14 PST

Hi Ryan , & amateur tyre fitters ,
                                                     If this is just a one
off occasion I would pay up and look big !
But if you are planning on changing tyres more often{or mending punctures on
a Sunday} then it`s worth getting the gear together . The job can vary from
easy to nigh on impossible BUT the watch word is CARE and CAUTION !
For levers I would start with 24" or longer 2 Off , 14Lb sledge hammer , 1
off, valve key 2 off { you can never find one of them } , 2"X ¼ " X 4" long
angle iron 4 off , 3" X 5/16" X 4" long angle iron , 2 off , radius all
edges ! Squeeze bottle of soapy water !
 On split rims break the bead first before dismantling !
To break the bead run the soapy water round the bead , lay a piece of the
angle iron against the bead , point up and HIT HARD the flat side , patience
is a virtue ! Work round the edge with 2 or more angles .
 THATS FOR THE EASY ONES for the stubborn ones I used the upright girder of
the building . Starting about 8" or 10 " up from the floor I burnt {or
drill } a line of holes about 2" apart 3/4 - 1" dia ,
and made a breaker bar from 4` of 2" thick walled tube . In one end I welded
a piece of 5/8" round bar shaped like a bent finger pointing up.
Roughly the distance from the top of the tread to the bead I drilled a ½"
hole horizontally through the tube , then using 2 bits of 2" X ¼" flat bar
4" long ,in the centre near the top {3/4" down } drill a ½" hole . Using a
GOOD ½" bolt , assemble the tube with the bits of flat hanging down and the
"finger " curving up . Another bit of 2" X ¼ " & 4"long ,is now slightly
curved and welded on edge to the end of the two hanging down bits , with the
curve AWAY from the finger .
To use , lay tyre on floor against girder , place the curved "finger " end
in an appropriate hole in girder, with curved flat against the bead and
HEAVE down !
For smaller tyres it may be necessary to drill more holes in the round tube
nearer the "finger ".
When inflating use a LONG leader from the gauge to the tyre and hide behind
a wall ! BE AWARE that in the event that the ring escapes it will fly into
the air some way , DON`T be under it when it lands !
An alternative to the above for bead braking is to weld up from scrap off
cuts a girder frame and use a hydraulic jack !
The lack of a steel framed building just means you set a length of girder in
a GOOD HARD pad of concrete .

For use on MV`s .

Needs Must , When the Devil Drives ! Noel .