Re: [MV] CUCV Won't start - update - Swelled glow plug removal?

From: Caleb Pal - MilVeh (m1009@defcon-3.net)
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 22:59:48 PST

Hey again,

Well this has to make my evening. I tried a new fuel filter I had lying
around, bled it out, went to start it, and noticed when I used the glow
plugs, the voltage gauge didn't go down. Uh oh. So I checked the solinoid.
hot-wiring it across the 2 big lugs only made a small arc. Uh oh. Tried
pulling the glow plugs. They unthread and come out a little. Uh oh. So so
far I have 3 swelled glow plugs in my head. Probably all of them are like
this. blown and swelled, after spending 80 bucks on a new set. Awesome. So
how do you remove swelled glow plugs? I have heard some ideas ranging from
vice grips and wd40, breaking the heads off and pushing them back in with
another glow plug and getting it out through the injector hole, and using a
trim puller. I don't know a lot of specifics on any of these methods, so if
someon can enlighten me on the best way to do it, that would be great. Also,
what would be a good glow plug to go with? I heard the 13g's were good,
right..... and I have also heard good things about the 60g's. Suggestions
for new glow plugs are welcome, will probably order 60g's tomarrow from napa
and spend 8 bucks a pop on those. Great.

Thanks for the help!

Caleb