Re: [MV] 5 Ton tire changing, the FIeld method

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 00:51:33 PST

see if I can find a 4 foot cheater bar.

Dear Ryan .
                   Using the previously mentioned calculation ,
 eg, 450÷ 3.5ft = 130 Lb , you are of slight build !
To undo a tight wheel nut of truck size can sometimes defeat even a 1" air
wrench with 1200ft/lb . The electric units are unlikely to be much more than
a nut runner ! The mistake made by some is in not having a large enough
airline to feed the wrench , to see this T in a pressure gauge at the wrench
end and read the pressure when working , if the reading is less than 100psi
, the line is too small . I have used GOOD and cheap wrenches and you really
DO get what you pay for ! The contractor who took the wheels off the LARC XV
was using a 1" CP at 200psi , and it struggled !
My reference to a torque bar was to illustrate the need to PROPERLY tighten
the nuts for safety !
A local hospital had trouble with ambulance wheels breaking up due to
regular sevicing and the wheelnuts cracking the wheels due to the use of air
wrenches to tighten the nuts instead of final tightening by torque wrench !

                          Best wishes Noel