Re: [MV] David Doyle's article on the Hydra-Matic

From: Squirt_Truck (squirt_truck@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 16:33:50 PST

See the response below...
--- Bjorn Brandstedt <super_deuce@hotmail.com> wrote:

> David always manages to find very informative
> pictures for his articles
> (MVM). I have a couple of question about two photos
> in the Hydra-Matic
> article (December 2004, page 34-35):
>
> 1) Is the rear suspension shown for the M135
> standard for the M135/M211
> trucks? Two springs, one auxiliary and one primary
> (figure 6). Yes that is standard, another of the
superior design features of the GMC. This allowed for
greater carried loads over rougher terrain by
controlling the axle movement. On the highway, 15,000
was no problem for these trucks. In a push, all four
tires on a single rear axle could be removed and the
truck still driven. Add this to having 2 separate
rear drive shafts and you have a very field friendly
truck.

> 2) Does anyone have any experience with the snow
> chains shown on the truck
> in figure 11? The cross links appear to be solid
> pieces. They work great for the duals, have much
better bite than conventional chains, but a dual set
is a bear to install. We always ran chains on all
wheels, some guys tried without chains on the front
and that was a mess.....even with the superior front
axle engagement system that the GMC had (NO they did
NOT have sprag units like the M-35, or air lockers
like the M-35 was upgraded to, the GMC unit did not
give any trouble, IF it was adjusted to fully engage.)

By the way, in addition to those extra springs, and
with an engine that weighed less than half what the
M-35 has, the GMC (211) still weighed over 1000 pounds
more. Not fat just heavy built.

Squirt_Truck(er)