Re: [MV] SHORTY M35 LINK

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 07:57:25 PST

2 He takes two M35 rims and cuts & welds them to create a 14" wide rim.
They are really beautifully done. I have sold quite a few to fire
departments for brush-fire trucks.

Hi fellas ,
                On the subject of WIDE wheels , using a spare hub or
something similar mount the wheel you are going to widen , set up in a vice
. then set up the cutting torch in a clamp so as to cut in the right place .
Set the cutter going and rotate the wheel ! Clean up and bevel the cut edges
. Using steel strip of the required thickness and width tack and bend to
rim forming a circle , now weld on the cut off section . Weld both sides ,
in and out ! Light cleaning up on the inside will stop chafe .
The alternative is to set the wheel up on the front hub and proceed as above
.

DO NOT consider this , UNLESS you are skilled in the setting up and use of
oxy acetylene cutting gear and ALSO a competent welder !

       I`ve done it , and ran the tyres tubeless ! Noel

PS --- Please remove the tyre first , as otherwise it will make an awful
mess !