Re: [MV] Broken M37 Axle shaft

From: Bob Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 08:01:13 PST

Hi Jim,

Ahh, good times, good times. Nothing like the fun
of removing broken axle shafts. If you're
EXTREMELY lucky, it has broken off flush with the
differential carrier, but if not, you have a
chunk of axle still in your housing, which will
prevent you from removing the diff until you pull
this axle piece.

There are two general arrangements for spider
gears in diffs, and I'm not sure which one the
dodges use. If it uses two spiders held in place
by a crosspin, then there is no straight-shot
through the diff and your idea of poking the
broken shaft out from the unbroken side is a no
go. However, if it uses a ring-pin configuration
like the M35 or CUCV Corporate 14 bolt, then
there WILL be a straight shot and it would be
worth investigating.

For reference, here is a shot of the 14 b
carrier:
http://www.coloradok5.com/14boltweld/carrier1.jpg

Surely there's a TM out there that has an
exploded view of the carrier. If you can get me a
pic of the carrier, I'll be able to tell you if
you can pull the straight shot or not, although a

Pantano's idea for lightbulb grabbers is a new
one - never heard of that. Ingenious. My current
favorite is a magnet to grab the old chunk and
pull it out. You need one of those super magnets,
the kind that come with the "keep away from
creditcards/Pacemakers/elderly/domesticated
animals" warnings on them. Now, I would advocate
epoxying this to a long pole and running this
through the axle tube to grab onto the old and
busted.

Now, unless you took State championships in the
popular steadyhands game "Operation" when you
were a kid, you will be hard pressed to slide
that magnet in without it grabbing one side of
the tube and holding fast. What you need is
distance from the axle tube... in practice, a
length of PVC tube slid around the magnet will
turn it into the primo axle grabbing tool. Make
sure the magnet slides freely, and use your
intuition to make this tool. It will save you
tens to hundreds of dollars in beer and Excedrin
costs, which you can then partially reimburse me
for. Address available upon request. :)

Speaking of which, time to make one of these to
fit my M35 axles for my rockbuggy... I anticipate
massive carnage with the gearing and big tires.
:(

Cheers
Bob Ternes, perpetually wrenching
68 M35a2, "mama bear"
"79 K20" with M35 axles and 16r20 XL's and
M35-ish rollcage, "baby bear"