Re: [MV] Broken M37 Axle shaft

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 08:13:45 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Ternes" <racecadet@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Broken M37 Axle shaft

> Hi Jim,
>
> Ahh, good times, good times. Nothing like the fun
> of removing broken axle shafts.

The long-side shaft pretty much always seems to break on the M37. Once I
successfully pushed an Allied Van Lines moving truck out of a ditch with my
own M37 shortly after I bought it, only to snap the axle shaft the day after
as I was on my way to work. My neighbour used to repair those trucks in the
Canadian Army and told me how much fun it was to get the stub out, and also
said that one of the tricks they used to use was to take an arc welder, hook
the business-end up to a long rod completely insulated except for the very
tip, ground the ground clamp to the frame - then slide the works down the
axle tube until making contact with the stub. After a brief Zap, your
insulated rod should have welded itself to the broken stub. Anyway, or so
the theory goes. I didn't have an arc-welder handy at the time so I had to
do it the old-fashioned way and pull the diff. And swear alot.

Yes...there was much swearing.