Driving with a load

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 12:35:12 PST

Drove back to the sawmill again today for another load of lumber.

The road has a lot of ups and downs and I speed down one hill to get the
momentum going for the next hill. I'm in 5th going downhill at about 50-55
mph. It's enough to make it halfway up the next hill and I watch the
pyrometer every time, since it hits 1,100 to 1,200 degrees as soon as the
engine gets loaded down. I easy off on the "gas" and shift down at about
1,400 rpm.
My point is that without the pyrometer, it would be so easy to just keep
stepping on the gas to keep the speed up going uphill, but the EGT would be
way over 1,200 deg F in a very short time.

I think my question here is: Am I running too lean? Should the fuel delivery
be turned up?

Tire pressure observation:
The total vehicle weight was about 21,000 lb today again. There were a lot
of 14 ft long boards in the load that hung over the back by about 4 feet.
The result was that the front was very light and I enjoyed "power steering"
all the way home.

This morning the tire pressures were all about 66 psi.

Arriving at the mill: Front 75 psi and rear 70.

Returning home the tire pressures were checked again: Front 73 psi and rear
averaged 77 psi. The difference reflecting the loading. The rear tires were
also warmer to the touch.

The fuel milage was too good to be made official. I use a dip stick in the
fuel tank to measure the level and it used only 5/8 inch for one 22 mile
drive ( with load, no less). That comes out to about 2 gallons, for 10
miles/gallon! The interaxle drive shaft is removed. The front wheels are not
freewheeling because without the drive shaft in the back, front wheel drive
is needed from time to time.
The tires in the front are brand new and the drive axle in the back has been
removed since they were installed. After 350 miles, the tires show no signs
of wear at all. New shocks were also installed.

Bjorn