Re: [MV] Driving with a load

From: grntrks@juno.com
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 23:41:00 PST

Bjorn,
I just had my injectors replaced and had the fuel turned up on my "91
F350 7.3 diesel. I now have much more power than before ( good ) but temp
is now a factor. I cannot watch the speedo as before, but MUST watch the
tach and temp guages, at all times. I also have to monitor the right
mirror to watch for smoke. If I see smoke I am giving her to much
throttle and have to back out of it until there is no smoke, or she
overheats QUICKLY. RPM is also a major factor in keeping the temp down.
Under a load here is the combination == lower gear, higher rpm, less
throttle equals acceptable temp, but slower speeds
I should note here that even though the fuel is turned up we did not
exceed Ford spec limits. Fuel was at 92 ( from factory ) and is now at
117. Ford limits are 90 to 120. The replacment injectors are also
hi-performance versus the original factory injectors. The power
difference is impressive, but there is now the temperature situation
that absolutely must be monitored at all times when I'm pulling a load.
I've had to "re-learn" my driving habits.

Hope this helps you decide about turning up the fuel.

P.S. My truck has a manual 5 speed overdrive transmission

Frank Cox ' Nam 1966
MVPA 14530
'45 GMC 353 DUKW
"On-A-Mission" hot shot trucking