CUCV Problems

From: Tom Kelly (tjk2356@webtv.net)
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 08:38:26 PST

Esteemed 6.2 Gurus:

My cucv died....DOH! For about a week or two every once in a while (not
very often) I would feel a slight surge in power, you know, the kind
that makes your heart stop for a second, as you think you've run out of
fuel. This was mostly freeway driving, and when it happened of course I
wasn't paying attention, so I wondered if it was a surge, or me taking
my foot off the pedal too fast while descending small hills or such.
Well last Satuday I got my answer, as I pulled off the highway, I got
about 1/2 a mile down a side street, when there was a major surge and
she died. I have run out of fuel twice (gotta fix that gauge), and
she'll let you know by surging several times, this time it was one surge
and silence. I coasted into a parkng lot and tried to restart her.

 The engine turned over but wouldn't even sputter (yes there was over
half a tank of fuel). The glow plugs completely died over a year ago,
I've been using starter fluid for all this time with no adverse affect
(but God help you if the plugs were to activate!) So I tried a small
shot of starter fluid, then cranked her again, she wouldn't even catch
for a second, on the third try without Sarter fluid, she cranked and
then started making some clankng metal to metal sound, which is never a
good sign.

 I tought at first maybe the injector pump went South on me, but after
the metal noise, I'm thinking maybe I lost the timing chain, as I
remember one poster on this list had that happen to him. I have fuel up
to the filter I just pulled it and it was full. I'd lean toward the
injector pump, as I hear they go out occasionally, but the metal sound
makes me think, it's something more sinister.

I'm going to try to pull a valve cover and turn her over with the
starter, to see if the valves move, this will indicate whether or not I
have a timing chain/gear/belt problem. If I do that'll explain the
noise, but if the timing chain is ok, can the injector pump make
mechanical metal to metal noises?

 Any help, suggestions, experience is appreciated. I'm on my way outside
to play cucv doctor, I'll check back when I take a break.

Thanks - Tom Kelly (perplexed in AZ)