M35 Head Gasket Questions

From: Sean Nichols (Sean.Nichols@xilinx.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 09:32:37 PST

Greetings List,

I took my deuce ('71 AMG M35 with a -1D multifuel) out for a weekend
'stroll' and all seemed to be well and good, as usual. But lately, I've
started to notice oil seeping out of the engine around the air
compressor and down around the injection pump. It looked as if my air
compressor was seeping oil from the base, but in a lot of places, I
couldn't really see where the oil was seeping out from.

So back to the story... I got home, parked the truck, left it running,
and got out to get my chocks set. When I rounded the front of the
truck, I could hear a faint 'buzzing' sound. That's the best way I can
describe it. I popped the hood and listened, but it just seemed to come
from the general vicinity of the engine and I was unable to pin point
the exact spot. Then I noticed that at some point, it appears that oil
has been seeping out from under the head at the front of the engine.

Truck ran great, not down on power at all. This morning it occurs to me
that I remember some posts about a blown head gasket making that
'buzzing' sound. Is that what I'm looking at here? How can I
conclusively tell? I've not had much (any) experience wrenching on
multifuel engnes...

Which brings up a few more questions...

How tough is it going to be to replace the gaskets?
What's this going to cost me?
Do I need to have the valves done and get the heads resurfaced at the
same time?
What other pearls of wisdom can anyone pass along for someone who has
neither 'been there' nor 'done that' from a multi-fuel standpoint?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Sean Nichols
'42 IHC FFN-3 Crash Truck
'71 AMG M35A2